1 can black beans
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup chili powder (I added a mixture of hot and mild chili powder)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes ( again, think of your audience and how hot your flakes are)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (28 ounce) can hominy, drained (white or yellow)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch (for thickening optional)
1 packet Morningstar Farms Crumbles, optional
1. Heat the oil in a large pot.
2. Saute the garlic and onion until they are softened but not brown, 5 - 10 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder, pepper flakes, sugar, thyme, cumin, oregano, and coriander.
4. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the drained beans, tomatoes(including the juice), vegetable broth, and salt.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours..
7. Add the hominy and pepper.
8. Taste for salt and add if necessary.
9. Thicken, if desired by adding 1 Tbs cornstarch at a time
10. Repeat until chili is a good consistency.
11. Serve. Yum
The inspiration for this recipe came from