Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup with White Beans & Swiss Chard
This is my adaptation. Very yummy. Excellent 5 star recipe
You need ... to serve 8
* 2 Tbs. olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
* 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
* 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
* 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
* 2 ribs celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
* 1 small zucchini, sliced (1 cup)
* 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 cups homemade vegetable broth
* 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
* 1 15-oz. can small red or black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped, plus 2 Tbs. oil from jar
* 1/2 bunch (6 oz.) Swiss chard, chopped or spinach or other greens
* 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
* 1 cup torn fresh basil
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Stir in onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, and rosemary, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until onions are soft.
2. Add broth, 1 can tomatoes, and beans. Scoop 1 cup mixture into food processor or blender, and add remaining can of tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and sun-dried tomato oil. Purée until smooth, stir mixture into soup, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add Swiss chard and thyme; simmer 5 minutes more, or until chard is wilted. Remove pan from heat, and stir in basil.
Per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 169, Protein: 5g, Total fat: 8g, Saturated fat: 1g, Carbs: 21g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 367mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 6g
Copyright © 2008 Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. | an Active Interest Media Company.