* 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce (see blog)
* 1 cup all-purpose flour and panko
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup barbeque sauce
1. Drain tofu, and slice into strips. Place in a plastic bag or container, and freeze overnight. This will give the tofu a meatier texture. Thaw tofu strips, and blot with paper towels to dry. Or bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 min
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of barbeque sauce. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Dip the tofu slices into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, shaking off excess flour. Fry in the hot oil for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Just fry enough at one time so they are not crowded. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and cool.
3. Preheat the oven's broiler. Brush tofu slices with additional barbeque sauce, and allow to marinate while the broiler heats up. Arrange them on a broiler pan, or wire rack set over a cookie sheet for best results.
4. Position the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Broil for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp, watching closely so as not to burn them. Serve warm with the remaining barbeque sauce for dipping.