Mushroom, asparagus & spinach risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 140g mushrooms, sliced
- half a bunch of asparagus cut in pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 140g arborio rice
- 150ml dry white wine (I used Moscato, believe it or not)
- 2 heaping tbs sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have any :( )
- 25g parmesan, freshly grated
- 100g fresh young leaf spinach, washed if necessary (I used frozen spinach)
- warm crunchy bread or toast, and a green salad, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the mushrooms, asparagus (minus tips) and garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice to coat with the onion, asparagus and mushroom mixture. Pour in the wine and cook over a moderate heat for about 3 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the wine is absorbed.
- Reduce to a gentle heat. Add the tomatoes and 125ml/ 4fl oz of the stock and cook for about 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Pour in a further 125ml/4fl oz stock and continue cooking until absorbed. Repeat with the remaining stock, until it is all absorbed and the rice is creamy and tender.
- Stir in the asparagus tips, parsley and half the parmesan. Season to taste. Scatter the spinach over the risotto if you are using fresh spinach. Cover and cook gently for 4-5 minutes until the spinach has just wilted. Serve immediately sprinkled with the remaining parmesan.
Modified from: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3245/mushroom-and-spinach-risotto