Buttermilk Cheddar Bay Biscuits/Scones
Adapted from Little Spice Jar's recipe
Serves: 12-14 scones
Messed this up the first time. Confused by directions. Have rewritten to hopefully make clearer.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk (such as, carnation)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided- 1 1/2 in dough, 1/2 for glaze
- 2 tablespoon dried or fresh parsley, divided- 1 Tbs in dough, 1 Tbs for glaze
- 6 oz salted butter, divided in dough, divided- 4 oz in dough, 2 oz for glaze
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, set aside.
- Place 1 stick of butter in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the butter until it is completely melted, about 45 second, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, powdered milk, baking powder, 1½ teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon parsley flakes.
- Add the melted butter and the buttermilk into the dry ingredients,
- fold to combine the ingredients.
- Add the cheese and fold into the biscuit dough until combined.
- Drop 2 tablespoons worth of dough that's been rolled into a uniform shape onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until he biscuits are golden brown on the outside.
- Melt the remaining ½ stick of butter, about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of parsley.
- Stir with a pastry brush to combine.
- Remove biscuits from oven when done and immediately brush with melted butter.
- Serve warm.
Really messed this up the first time. Also added jalapeno pepper. Didn't divide butter so chemistry happened. Tasted good though. Also ran out of garlic pepper so used real garlic, maybe a little too much. But the taste was good.