Creamy Summer Squash Soup with Basil
Adapted from a recipe By Jen Hoy, About.com Guide
* ¼ cup olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 carrot, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1 leek, white part only, chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 quart vegetable stock
* 1 teaspoon tamari
* 1 pound yellow squash (approximately 5 squash), cut into ½ inch dice
* 1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch dice Needs to be nice and small
* Sea salt
* Pinch of cayenne (optional yum)
* ¼ cup chopped fresh dill No dill for me. I added Basil instead
Heat oil over medium heat in a 3-quart soup pot. Add onion, carrot, celery, and leek, and cook ten minutes, stirring frequently. Add bay leaves, stock, and tamari, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add yellow squash and cook an additional 8 minutes.
Puree the soup with a vertical blender. Add the chopped zucchini, sea salt to taste, and cayenne, if using. Simmer two minutes, add dill, and serve immediately.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy